Master Digital Product Design: UX Research & UI Design
Digital products are more abstract and complex than any product we’ve designed before. People are using their digital devices faster, with less conscious thought and more distracted than ever in history.
These issues present new challenges that require a new kind of design team to address. These design teams need to understand a complex range of behavioral psychology, perception, creativity, business. They need to understand what has come before, the history of design didn’t start with the iPhone. The history of product design started with the history of products!
I created this course out of frustration. Frustration that design education has been reduced to a handful of feal good quotes, an ineffective standardised design process, unquestioned research activities and no mention of philosophy or critical thought. We are designing the most complex product in history for the most distracted users. We’re expecting designers to work with an embarrassingly narrow understanding of design. I had to create this course for them, I had to create The Master Digital Product Design Course because no one else was doing it 😉
The Master Digital Product Design Course will give you everything you need to start designing products people love. It will take time and I advise you to work through all the exercises over a period over several months, leaving time for reflection and experimentation. This is not a fast track to any design job, this is a slow track to a great career.
What do I get with this course?
This course comprises of 12 modules, each around an hour long. Each module contains high-quality explainer videos with multiple activities and downloadable worksheets. Every video has resource links for further reading to ensure you get a range of opinions and allow you to dig deeper into topics that interest or apply to you.
The modules will cover a unique range of topics that I believe are missing from the majority of modern design curriculums. The 12 sections are:
- Introduction: background into the industry and some of the problems
- What is Design?: looking at, where design came from and some misconceptions about how to design
- Design Process: the elements of a design process. You’ll then create your design process
- Critical Thinking: the core skill to design effectively, how to challenge ideas, especially your own
- Experience Economy: experience is vital to create products people love, yet most people are ignoring it!
- Creativity: you can learn to be creative, I’ll show you what it is and how to get it!
- Perception: looking at how people see the world and how we can design for them (people)
- Usability: let’s make sure your product is easy to use and doesn’t frustrate
- Figma: is a rapid design and prototyping tool, you’ll learn to mock up your designs
- Form & Function: why your product has to look good and what to do about it
- Minimalism: minimalism is hard and we often get it wrong
- Balance: you can have too much of anything. lets balance standards with trends
Is this course for me?
I created The Master Digital Product Design Course to fill many of the holes in other product design courses, for this reason, I believe it’ll be useful for a seasoned designer. I’ve also created it with the beginner in mind so if you have never designed anything you will be just at home (and everyone has designed something before, you just don’t know it!).
As well as designers I also had in mind all the people who project manage, own or develop digital products. I believe there is a lot of interesting materials that will help the whole business think differently about creating digital products.